Thursday, July 19, 2012

More Fun in Surgery

I got assist with a guinea pig castration today! One of our clients brought in a sweet boy who was terrified out of his mind, but I think he came around a little bit after cuddling with me for several hours today. I have such a soft spot for piggies :). The guinea pig neuter was very similar to the cat neuter, although the pre- and intra-operative protocols are a bit different. No blood work for this guy, different pre-sedation meds, no intubation and "fancy" monitoring equipment. He did well under anesthesia, although he certainly didn't like the smell of the gas at first! I remember when Penny was spayed that she hated the smell of the gas too.

This is going to sound absurd, but guinea pigs have gigantic testicles! I swear this boy's were larger than the adult cat I neutered last week, and this guy was a little over 2 lbs compared to around 10 lbs! The macroscopic anatomy was really neat to see - the epididymus looked brain-like and you could easily visualize the inguinal ring! It was a surgery I won't soon forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment