Friday, February 15, 2013

Mangoes

I currently have 13 mangoes sitting on my kitchen table. That's a lot of mangoes!

There is a man who sells local fruit from a stand near the grocery store bus stop, and from time to time I pick stuff up from him. His prices are extremely reasonable and he is very generous. It's also really nice to support a local individual and eat fresh island fruit instead of the imported stuff from the grocery store. Grenada has such an amazing fruit basket!

Anyway, I don't buy fruit often because I am a naughty girl and I don't eat my five a day. I end up wasting so much and I hate it! Yesterday after going to the grocery store, the mango man walked by and offered us mangoes, and since I hadn't had any in a long time, I decided it was time for a bag and that I'd just share them around the building with my friends. I didn't quite realize that I'd be receiving 21 mangoes in my purchase! Really really nice of him, but I really won't end up eating more than 4 or 5! Most of them are very ripe and ready to eat immediately too, but a few are still green and waiting around. I was able to share 4 with a couple of 2nd term girls upstairs who had never had Grenadian mangoes before and pawned 3 off on our security guard. That left me with 14, and I just ate one as a midnight snack! 13 more mangoes to go, hopefully I can at least pawn another half off on my old roommate, or else I am going to have mangoes coming out my ears!

As a quick note on Grenadian mangoes, they are pretty much the best thing ever. They are much different from any mango I've ever had before, mainly because they are a sunset orange color inside and sugary sweet rather than tangy and sour. I'm not really a fan of other types of mangoes, but boy I do love a good Grenadian mango! It's like biting into a little slice of juicy heaven. Sticky and sweet, the texture is finely pulpy. You don't taste the stringiness of the fruit until after you've devoured your prize and you're left with little silky strands stuck between all your teeth. It makes me wish I could share the delicious experience with my dog because it is so pleasant to consume one! Too bad I have very strict no people food rules for Lucy, and mangoes would probably lead to diarrhea (so don't feed them to your pet even if you don't have a no people food rule haha).

No comments:

Post a Comment