Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Castration

I performed my first castration at work the other day! It was very exciting and nerve wracking! My mentor doctor oversaw me the whole time as I very carefully performed the cat neuter. Not a very exciting procedure for anyone who has ever done surgery before, but super complex if you've never been in charge before! I spent about 5 hours studying the night before haha. I borrowed a surgery text to read up on the step by step procedure, watched some videos on youtube, and paged through my anatomy textbook. Everything went really well, it jsut took me forever! It never ceases to amaze me how sturdy tissue is. I remember being surprised in anatomy lab, and it was certainly unbelievable to realize that the tissues aren't nearly as fragile as they appear (they are fragile of course, but it's not like glass!). The cat was a very handsome adult male :).

1 comment: