Sunday, February 9, 2014

Back to School...Three Weeks Ago!

Eeek! It has been such a long time since I posted! Oopsies! Time is absolutely flying by these days at school. It's wonderful and awful all at the same time. On one hand, I'm tired of school and studying and all that jazz, but yet I am going to really miss this gorgeous country and all the SCUBA diving here! I simply don't know what I'm going to do with myself come May!

I came back nearly a week early to enjoy Grenada and ended up spending it all either diving or taking care of new student commitments for SVECCS and VCA. Not a bad way to spend your winter break! The spring temperatures and humidity levels are amazing. It is just gorgeous outside (unless it's rained in the last five minutes, and then the humidity is absurdly oppressive). At night it's almost chilly out with the sun gone and the gentle breeze blowing, I love it! Sampson is adjusting well to the climate too. He get's hot if he goes out to run, but other than that he's enjoying his days as a Caribbean dog. He enjoys going for walks on the beach but he HATES the water. He is completely terrified of it. It's pretty funny!

School is back in full swing and often busier than ever! My life is currently full of morning classes, afternoon rotations, and evening meetings. We only have 4 "real" classes this term, but unfortunately the scheduling people weren't feeling terribly kind when they made it so we have a lot of 2-3 hour blocks of the same class. Shoot me. We're also stuck in this awful, tiny little classroom due to some administrative disagreements and errors. I could go on and on forever about how I feel about this, but I will spare you. Just know that I don't think it's a coincidence that I had a migraine on Friday for the first time in over a year since I moved from a poorly managed climate to a more regular and clean environment (my dorm was full of mold due to AC issues whereas my apartment is not - they used to keep our old classroom at -10F at all times so no mold grew in that whereas this new classroom has a long history of being poorly controlled climate and insect-wise).

We are about to start week three of our clinical rotations. I started with ER medicine during week 2 and moved into clinical pathology last week. Next up is pathology, which happens to probably be my least favorite subject in veterinary school. Right behind large animal surgery and theriogenology of course. Some rotations are more time demanding than others. Right now we have a lot of little assignments, quizzes, and presentations to do for these classes. Not very exciting if you ask me. My two ER shifts were pretty busy but nothing we couldn't manage. Clinical pathology was a nice change of pace last week and I enjoy dealing with blood work and clinical samples. I have no enthusiasm for being in the necropsy suite coming up. Ew. The other clinical rotations I have yet to complete include ambulatory medicine (where we go out to various Grenada farms and provide preventative health care to people's farm animals), small animal medicine, and small animal surgery and anesthesia. These three will all be on the more time consuming side of life as they all have a reputation for going late in the afternoon and carry fun presentation assignments.

I have of course been doing lots of diving so far this term. So far I've logged more than 20 dives since arriving back (I'm almost at 100 dives total!) and have been diligently working on a wreck specialty class and a deep specialty class. I also very recently started my divemaster certification, but more on that later. The diving weather has been lovely and I have enjoyed seeing some new critters this year! Very, very exciting! Of course as always still diving with my dear friends at Eco Dive and Trek (http://www.ecodiveandtrek.com/).

I promise to get back into blogging more regularly - I just needed to start back up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment