Sunday, February 9, 2014

Seahorses!!!

I may or may not have ever mentioned my slight obsession with seahorses before. It's been a goal of mine to see one while diving here for quite a long time now. They are on the rarer side when it comes to critters, but they're not so rare that they are hardly ever seen here. My problem is that I'm usually just not on the boat. Darn school getting in the way of my seahorses!

This January, just days after I had returned to the island, I had the pleasure of not only seeing my first seahorse, but finding him myself!!! There was lots of squealing and dancing going on underwater. I was very excited - and I also got to put my new rattle to good use to call back the rest of the group because you had better believe I wasn't leaving my new friend behind! I was meandering along contemplating how it was possible that I could be cold in the Caribbean in a 7mm wetsuit, when BAM!! My eyes alerted me to something of interest. It took me a good minute to confirm and believe what I was seeing, because I was definitely in a bit of shock! Next up was picture taking - had to have photographic proof of my finding! As it turns out, a seahorse has never been spotted in that location! I was so very pleased with my find, they are just beautiful and amazing creatures!

There also happens to be a pair of seahorses at one of the local wrecks currently. The male is massively pregnant, and they have been seen hanging out together and apart on the corals next to the wreck. I have seen them twice at night and five times during the day. It never gets old, it never gets less special! I could sit there and bask in their presence forever. I've sort of taken to doing that more or less when we end up at that site. Much to our amusement, we are apparently the only dive shop that knows their actual location so they've had customers from other shops come by and do a dive just to go see them! I am pleased to know my little friends are helping out my bigger friends!

I am going to be a very sad individual the day that I go back and they are gone because they have moved on, but until then, I shall take every dive I can get to go and visit them! They are so graceful and gentle in all their movements. They hold onto the corals with their tails and sway with the current or duck their heads to hide out of the way. Who wouldn't love such an amazing animal?! Yes, I am well aware that 8 seahorse visits in 3 weeks/<30 dives probably qualifies me as majorly obsessed, but hey, it certainly could be worse, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment