Saturday, March 24, 2012

Barracuda!

Went to the campus beach for a bit this afternoon. We thought our sun and swim plans were going to be completely foiled because as soon as we started thinking of going, the skies got dark and started pouring rain. We lucked out though, because the weather actually cleared up, grey skies and all!

I decided to hang out in my new spot and explore. My exploring the coves of sandy patches (there is a lot of long sea grass!) led me all the way out to a reef! So many beautiful fish! I saw many familiar fish along with several new ones and some new corals and invertebrates. Very exciting! As I tried to figure out my way back to shore via the cove maze (next time I'll take a picture of the water, and it'll be much easier to see what I'm talking about), I ran into a barracuda!! He was 1.5-2 feet long and just idly swimming along. My taking interest in him caused him to do a magical disappearing act, because one minute I was starring at him, and the next he was completely gone! And yes, I do indeed know they have teeth.

I absolutely love going swimming and seeing all of these beautiful creatures. I really wish I could share pictures of them-they are just infinitely more beautiful than words can describe. Perhaps next fall I will actually have an underwater camera, fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment