Monday, March 26, 2012

Pharmacology

Can you tell when I have exams yet? Seems to be preceded by a lack of post haha.

Today's exam (the first after midterms) was pharmacology. Yuck. But not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be thankfully (it always concerns me when I finish an exam in 7 minutes haha).

I find the topic of pharmacology interesting, but this class seems more like a game of trivia than learning things that I should actually know to be a good doctor. It's all great and well to know a bunch of random things, but the main points are majorly de-emphasized, if they are emphasized at all. Not so useful. It's also kind of frustrating when information is presented only once, but not all together. For instance, two of the inhalant anesthetics we covered cause laryngospasm/bronchoirritation, but they weren't listed together. The first was listed independently (but not solely in the drug) and the second was listed in a table with the first drug, but the first drug was marked as having that effect! Our notes are littered with examples like this.

I'm pretty sure the most frustrating part of this class is that it's not over in May! We still have one more semester of pharmacology to go before we get to escape this madness. I get it, they are in the process of completely overhauling the department, but I'm pretty sure students have gone from learning nothing with the old way to learning a whole lot of nothing with the new team. Hm. Sounds pretty counter productive to me!!

In other news, I went for a swim this afternoon. Seemed like a more fun and exciting way to exercise than Zumba in my room, plus it was gorgeous out! The water was a little rough because it was pretty windy, but it just made me work harder, and I got to see the fish and swim the reef all the same :).

No comments:

Post a Comment