Sunday, July 7, 2013

Arriving at the Reservation

We finally made it! Our location at the reservation is a big gymnasium and that’s where we have set up the clinic and will be sleeping until Friday. Upon arrival, we immediately began unpacking the HSUS trailer. It was packed to the brim with boxes (“action packs”), tables, carts, and tons of other supplies. It’s an extremely impressive organization. Once the materials were inside and in their basic starting places, we sat down to a little bit more orientation. Next up we were each assigned a couple of boxes to inventory before the whole clinic was unpacked and set up. My boxes consisted of catheter supplies and fluids. Once my boxes were inventoried, I assisted another student inventory the front third of the trailer full of vaccines, SNAP tests, and liquids (like bleach). When we came back in from the trailer, the whole clinic had been set up! All of the surgery rigs had been assembled, all the cages and tents were in place, and it looked like a full and complete clinic!

The rest of the evening was spent running through orientation powerpoints and procedures. Our dinner consisted of a potato and chickpea curry with rice. Our last activity of the night before assignments was our surgery practical. I passed but by the skin of my teeth! We had to perform a modified millers knot and figure 8 knot at the first station and then 2 inches of simple continuous pattern. Apparently I need to watch my knots for slip knots.


Tomorrow my assignment is in receiving. I am very glad. I was really hoping to not start out in surgery and I am glad to have the chance to get to know the intake process before treating patients for surgery. We are currently all spread out on sleeping bags and air mattresses in the corner of the gym ready for bed. Tomorrow morning will certainly come very early with a start time of 6am. I’d be happy to get up at 5:15am, but I know there will be people up long before then and I know that will wake me up. Ick. Not looking forward to so little sleep before such a long day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment