Sunday, July 21, 2013

Halfway Through the Week

I can’t believe we’re already halfway through the second week! The time has gone so quickly and while I’m ready for a break, I’m not ready to leave my new friends!

Tuesdays seem to be the hardest day of the trip for me. I remember being dead tired last Tuesday and yesterday was no exception. Something about piling lack of sleep, heavy work, and the time zone change on top of each other I suppose. I had another day of anesthesia. We were in Dupree for the day meaning that we had to leave extra early in the morning to get to our location and set the whole clinic up. We were at the multipurpose facility in Dupree which was actually super nice and new inside. Much to our dismay, we discovered they had showers but everyone’s stuff was 30 minutes away in Eagle Butte. Not that we really had any time for it, but having water was a wonderful thought.

The day was long but everything went really well. All the teams worked well together to make the clinic as efficient as possible. For the most part my anesthesia cases went well and I continued my bathroom trend by recovering a feral animal in the men’s restroom for nearly two hours. It’s a quiet place! At the end of the day we broke the clinic down and came back to Eagle Butte to set up our next and final location. It was so late by the time we were all done and even though we were treated to running water again, I certainly didn’t relish the idea of getting into freezing cold water being so tired!

Today I was in receiving. We started the day early again and managed to get the clinic up and running an hour earlier than expected! We were busy all day long and saw quite a few sick patients in addition to our surgery patients. One of my patients ended up being euthanized due to pretty complicated and extensive disease processes. She was so sweet with us and it was sad to say goodbye, but ultimately I am very glad she is no longer suffering, because she was certainly suffering before we met her today. She was super hungry all day and got as much yummy wet food as her heart desired all day long so she definitely had a “good” ending. I really like it when we are able to provide delicious treats to our patients before a euthanasia because the ones that are hungry for it really enjoy being spoiled. I hope that we don’t need to euthanize another patient this week, but I am really glad we were able to offer this comfort to an animal that was suffering. She deserved the dignified and graceful death she received today and I’m grateful to know she won’t suffer a long and torturous end.

Tonight I finally get to get some sleep and I’m super excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment