Sunday, July 21, 2013

Heading Home

Well the trip is officially over. I am back home as of yesterday afternoon and pretty well caught up on sleep and hot water showers!

Friday morning was our last day in Eagle Butte. We had to cut the clinic off at about 11:30a because the facilities needed to be used that evening for a wake. We saw 120+ pets that morning though! Lots of vaccines and wellness along with some sickness. It was a hot day so we had to work quickly to get clients and patients in and out so as not to heat stress anyone too badly! That afternoon we broke down the whole operation before saying our goodbyes and parting ways. Some of us headed back to Bismarck, but most of us were starting long roadtrips back home.

It was a 3 hour drive back to Bismarck that evening and with some finagling, we managed to get everyone back in one piece. We went back to Olive Garden for another delicious dinner for 8 to enjoy final company and say farewell wishes. The food was awesome and we split some pretty tasty desserts!

Saturday morning I had to be up bright and early (5:15a) to head off to the airport. Coming out of mountain time zone, it felt like 4am and I was so exhausted. I slept the entire ride to Minneapolis, slept another 2 hours in an opportune spot in the airport, 2 more hours on my second flight, 4 hours at home, and 12 hours over night! I think I am pretty sufficiently caught up at this point!

I am sad to have left my friends and this amazing experience behind, but it feels so good to have a hot shower and to catch up on sleep! It is a trip I will never forget and something I hope I will be able to do again in the future! Next up - specialty externship #2!

No comments:

Post a Comment