Saturday, July 13, 2013

Weekend Break

We successfully finished our first leg of the trip yesterday! It was an intense and exhausting week, but I think everyone would agree that it's an amazing adventure that we are loving.

Thursday I was in receiving again in the morning and then I spent the afternoon in anesthesia. I got to play with some pretty cute pediatric patients as well as some super hyper puppies! My only anesthesia case for the afternoon ended up being cancelled for surgery due to complications associated with the pre-medications administered. His heart rate and blood pressure became low with drug administration so I ended up monitoring and treating him for the next 6 hours. Not my favorite breed of dog, but this little guy for sure won a spot in my heart! He was super sweet with me and when he had finally metabolized most of the drugs out of his system, he popped right back up to normal and was ready to go home. No neuter for him! I think he secretly planned it that way haha.

Yesterday was a wellness only clinic and the goal was to see as many patients in 6 hours as possible. We ended up vaccinating and treating over 150 patients! My partner and I saw 13 patients total. One of our families had 9 cats! Each animal received vaccines, deworming medication, and flea/tick preventative and any other medical treatment needed. We started packing up at 2p - a lengthy and somewhat challenging process. We left around 7p for good and headed back to Bismarck. I miss that place though!

We checked into a hotel last night and headed to Blarney Stone's Irish Pub for dinner around 10p. Turns out they stopped serving dinner then, but we ordered a bunch of appetizers for the table to split and that ended up working out really well. Sleeping in a real bed last night was wonderful and I love the memory foam the room has. So comfy!

Today we slept in late and just kind of hung out. We went to brunch at Perkins where I had delicious blueberry pancakes with blackberry topping. Next up we went to a laundromat to wash all our stinky, dirty clothes from the week. Being stingy students, we managed to cram 5 peoples' laundry into the biggest washing machine I've ever seen! Our folding party was pretty funny - each item got folded and called out for claim. Lots of "mine, mine, mine!" going around! 18 of us ended up at Olive Garden for dinner for an awesome "family" dinner. We get along so well and I'm already dreading having to say goodbye at the end of the week! These people are so much fun and super awesome to hang out with!

No comments:

Post a Comment