Sunday, July 21, 2013

Surgery Day #2

I did end up getting a second day in surgery on this trip. That evens it out to 3 days of anesthesia, 3 days of receiving, 2 days of surgery, and 2 days of wellness.

I started my morning off helping receiving out while the rest of the clinic got started. I planned on taking histories from families to help out, but ended up finding a special client and two pets to take care of instead. The client was a wonderful person who cared deeply for the dog and cat that lived in her home. Some special circumstances and understanding clinic staff made sure she got the wellness appointment she desired for her animals despite it being a surgery only day (her animals were already fixed). I am so glad I got to help someone like that. It really was one of the top highlights of my day, getting to work with this client and her animals.

My surgeries consisted of a cat neuter, a dog neuter, and a dog spay. I got to do a majority of the first two surgeries which was really cool and a good sneak peak at what I will be doing this fall in junior surgery lab!

In the middle of the day, we had an emergency come in. I got to help the doctors and technicians triage and stabilize the patient in small ways. Unfortunately not a happy outcome for the patient, but ultimately a very good and loving decision was made. I hate seeing animals suffer and the trauma this patient had sustained was very heavy. A very long, expensive, and cautiously optimistic recovery would have been in store. It was so good to be in an emergency setting again though, I really enjoy it!


Tonight for dinner we had indian tacos. This might seriously be the most delicious meal on the planet! Our amazing cook Annie is phenomenal! Indian tacos are made with fry bread (a delectable bread patty fried in peanut oil) with the normal taco fixings on top. Words simply cannot describe how amazing this combination is (and yes I was skeptical before I tried it!). I will definitely miss the delicious homemade meals our hardworking volunteers have provided us with!

No comments:

Post a Comment