Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Animal Nutrition

I can't remember if I have mentioned anything about this class in the past, but I really don't care for it. The main problem is boring/impossible to understand professors and my general lack of interest in the subject (maybe that will change when we get into equine and companion animal nutrition with the two awesome professors).

Our midterm exam is this Monday-yikes! Much to my delight though, we do not have any classes that day! This means that I will have a 5 day break from anatomy lab!!! (I really hate that class, mainly because one of my lab partners is unbearable to work with and be around). For our midterm, we have 15 lectures to cover and this will be our first exam for the class. We were supposed to have a quiz a couple weeks ago but it was cancelled because we had a physiology exam the same day and a histology exam a few days before it. Very generous of the moderating professor!!

Our first professor was from Nottingham University. He presented 7 lectures on general nutritional elements (proteins, lipids, carbs, etc.). Potentially sounds interesting, but don't be fooled. His charming accent does not make up for the fact that his presentations were terrible, his notes were atrocious, and he was really boring and constantly making fun of Americans. His only redeeming feature was his adorable and entertaining accent. I'll admit to rarely paying attention in class (why stare blankly when you can put that hour towards studying for another class or catching up on the rest of life?). He seems like a perfectly nice person, but we have been warned by the upperclassmen that his test questions are BRUTAL. He apparently tells you "oh you don't need to remember this" and "don't memorize these charts and numbers" and then turns around and puts them on the exam, along with many other obscurely worded questions. We are all frightened. Luckily, the SGU professor in charge of the class (for the first time) threw out a bunch of his test questions on the basis that they weren't even in the notes (his new redeeming feature-I may have been known to call him ugly boring guy, but not anymore!).

The second lecturer we've had is from Grenada. Or Africa. I'm actually not really sure which (he grew up in one and lived in the other for awhile before now). His topic is ruminant nutrition. Unfortunately for me, I have no interest in cows or ruminants so I don't find the lecture material to be nearly as fascinating (or relevant) as one of my friends who wants to go into mixed animal practice (companion animals, equine, and farm as needed basically). His notes are very straight forward and easy to read, however, he is IMPOSSIBLE to understand. For every sentence he speaks, I'm lucky if I've caught at least two of the words. I am no good with accents (although I've adapted quite well in histology! but that is perhaps because he repeats everything he says 5 times). Needless to say, I also don't pay attention to his lecturing either. It is a more productive and stimulating use of my time to study for histology or physiology or anatomy (depends upon what the next upcoming exam is haha).

Anyhow, that is the current overview of my nutrition class (which I really don't care for). Hopefully I'll do well on the midterm (I know you're currently skeptical since I don't pay attention in class but I'll let you know!).

No comments:

Post a Comment