Saturday, August 20, 2011

Beach!!

I finally made it to the beach today!! It was another sunny, beautiful day in Grenada (although I missed the rain shower that happened before we left). Before I describe my fun in the sun, I need to clarify something about SGU/the campuses.

SGU is located in Grenada and has been for many years. The school used to be very tiny and located in Grand Anse, a section of the town (St. George's) we're in. Grand Anse is right on the beach and since the campus has been moved to True Blue, the Grand Anse part has been turned into some on campus housing and the school's beach area. Grand Anse is about a 5-10 min bus ride from where I am (True Blue).

Anyhow, back to the beach! So a few of my friends and I met up and took the bus over to the beach. Before I left, I made sure to put PLENTY of sunscreen on. When we arrived, the beach was as beautiful as the pictures showed it would be and I was very happy and excited to get right in the water! The water temperature had to have been at least 80 degrees (it felt amazing), was crystal clear, and a beautiful turquoise color. The waves were mostly just gentle swells and we swam for about an hour and a half. At that point in time, a rain storm (and then thunder storm) rolled in so we got out for a bit. When the storm showed no signs of letting up, we decided to call it a day and go home and study.

We saw fish, seashells, a HUGE conch shell, and some dead coral pieces while swimming. All in all an awesome 1st time to the beach! I am very glad that I do not live in Grand Anse though because there is no way I would ever get any work or studying done. I would simply want to be in the water all day every day! And that would definitely be a problem haha.

Sadly, despite my heavy sunscreen application and limited time in the sun, my shoulders and upper chest are lobster red! It looks as though I completely skipped the process of applying sunscreen today :( It is very itchy! Thankfully a classmate is loaning me some aloe! I am amazed at how burned I am, but I guess that's what happens when you are super pale (or as one friend put it, as white as paper haha). I can't wait to go back again soon though! And I definitely need to make it for a sunset soon, because they are supposedly gorgeous!

A few pictures (taken after it started raining though so they aren't great):


No comments:

Post a Comment