Tuesday, August 30, 2011

My Internet and Microwave

I think I've mentioned before that the internet is kinda iffy here. This is particularly the case when it comes to the wireless. I pretty much have to reconnect every 10 mins if I'm using it in class which is probably more a problem with my computer than the actual wireless network. However, someone told me recently that the building structure here is pretty incompatible with wireless. Apparently it blocks a lot of the signal causing problems. Oh well, it's annoying but I'm used to it. I'm also used to my wired internet just dying for 10ish minutes at a time in my room. Sometimes running the troubleshooting feature fixes it and sometimes not. Again, eh whatever I'm used to it. HOWEVER today 3 of the 4 ethernet ports in my room are refusing to work. This is not okay with me. Its an internet problem not a computer problem because both of my computers are having issues. Anyhow, the port that works happens to not be the one at my desk and I happened to plug a short cable into it just as a test. Since it works, I am too afraid to unplug it to exchange it out. Guess that's the benefit of being able to use both desks, heh.

As for the microwave, I am not sure what is up with this seemingly possessed appliance! I noticed the first time I opened and shut the door that it "turned on." As far as I can tell, it's not actually using microwaves at this point, but the plate rotates, the light is on, and the only way to override it is to open the door again. And usually as soon as you open the door, it starts back up again. No amount of cancel or entering numbers in will switch it to a useful function. I am confused. It potentially seems like it's just some sort of strange ventilation feature (although why it needs to do that before it heats is beyond me) but NOWHERE is it mentioned in the manual that came with it. I read the little booklet cover to cover earlier and it doesn't even mention a fan, much less a ventilation feature. It seems that perhaps I am just destined to have problems with microwaves in Grenada. I think this means I need to invest in another pot, because I often turn to microwave food because I am too lazy to wash my single dirty pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment