Thursday, August 25, 2011

New Microwave!

I came home this evening to find a maintenance guy putting a BRAND NEW MICROWAVE in my kitchen!!! I am very excited! A week ago, I submitted a work order request for my original microwave because it didn't really work. I know you're think um it either works or it doesn't, so let me explain what I mean.

When I originally arrived in Grenada at 1am, I walked into my room, took in the sights, and noticed that my microwave was off. I swear it happened like that because the kitchen is right there when you open the door and you can't help but notice it. That and there was no clock in the room and microwaves can be an excellent resource for that. So I flipped the wall switch on and the face plate lit up. The clock said 1:01 (the default setting according to my new users manual) and I figured close enough, I'll get it in the morning.

Morning came quite early for the microwave, which started demanding attention at about 6:00am. It made one beep. Awakened from sleep and extremely groggy, I remember wondering if I actually heard something. A couple of minutes later (or honestly it could have been seconds, hard to say when you're not really awake), it beeped a single time again. This time I knew I had heard something and both my roommate and I groggily rolled over acknowledging that we had heard something. I suspected the microwave, but I don't think she had gotten that far in conscious thought yet. I think we both opted for sleep at that point being exhausted and needing to be up in a few hours. Another few minutes passed and it beeped a third time. This time I knew for sure it was the microwave, and as we both groaned, I hopped out of bed and and snickered at the microwave as I turned the power switch off. It was a satisfying feeling. Back to sleep we went and the microwave went untouched for days (no food).

I used the microwave a couple of times with no incident. I always shut the power off after use to avoid another early morning surprise. Sleep is far too precious to be wasted on such foolish things!

Last week, I began using the microwave for dinner one night. I used it twice without a problem (meaning that I could press buttons and make it work) but almost immediately after each use, it would take to loudly beeping at you obnoxiously. The third time I tried to use it that night, it refused to acknowledge that any of the buttons were being pressed and continued beeping loudly. That's when I decided it was time to have it looked at.

When I came home from classes at lunch the next day, the microwave was gone. I honestly expected to see it back in my room at the end of the day with a note on it saying something along the lines of I'm stupid, it's fine. It didn't show up. Each day this week, I have been more an more surprised to not see it in my room at the end of the day. Needless to say, I was quite shocked when they were putting a brand new in my room today!

I am very happy, I can now make frozen foods without bothering various people in my dorm! This microwave also has actual numbers on it! The previous one (and every other one I've seen here) only contains buttons for 10 minutes, 1 minute, 10 seconds, and 1 second. Now all I have to say is that this one had better not act up in the next 3 months!!
(old) (new)


No comments:

Post a Comment