Saturday, August 13, 2011

Grenadian Groceries

I finally made it to the grocery store today! I had some free time after orientation before the first term barbeque so I actually have food now! Yay!

I took the bus for the first time from campus to the grocery store. There is a bus stop on campus and then a bus stop across from the shopping center where the grocery store is located. The buses are 30 passenger vehicles and are charming in their own way. Some time I'll have to remember to take a picture.

So I was expecting the grocery store to be small and stocked with all sorts of brands I had never heard of. I expected things to be limited and feel like I was going to eat very little this semester. I WAS WRONG!!

The grocery store was fairly large (a little smaller than the Blacksburg Food Lion) and FULL of American brands!! I was so surprised! Campbells soup, Jell-o, Heinz, Birdseye, Tropicana, Yoplait, Activia, Stouffers, etc. I am not going to starve due to lack of appetizing food over the next three years, I am so happy. Starving due to lack of time is still a possibility though haha.The best part? THEY CARRY MY SHAMPOO!!!! I don't have to switch brands down here or bring 9lbs of shampoo with me every semester! (I only brought 3lbs this time).

I now have plenty of food to get me through the next several days/week-yay! The next step will be to thoroughly clean the kitchen so I can put everything away on the shelves (it's pretty dusty and grimy in here). Our kitchen is reasonably stocked supplies-wise. I bought a pot today so that I can actually cook. All in all it cost about $380 EC which roughly translates to $142 US. Not too bad for a first time trip to the store to stock a completely empty kitchen.

In other news, I did laundry for the first time tonight. It's free :) There are 2 laundry rooms per floor and each has a washer and dryer. They are only available Friday 4:30pm-Monday 7:00am. They are average washer and dryer sets. There is usually fierce competition for them but I think everyone either doesn't know the restrictions yet or is too busy enjoying their down time haha. The grocery store also stocks name brand detergents :)

No comments:

Post a Comment