Sunday, August 14, 2011

Taxis

The best way to get around the island is to take a taxi. The first time I heard this, I thought yikes! There are also buses that go to a limited number of places from the school and other buses around the island. On Friday night I found myself needing to get back to the university from off campus. Despite being terrified, I made my first trip in a taxi. At night. In the dark. Gulp!

It turns out I need not worry, taxis in Grenada are completely different than what I imagine they are like in the US. They are not sketchy and the drivers are quite friendly! The person who picked me up and brought me home was quite pleasant and took me straight back to the university. He also charged me very little despite the long distance. After such a long and stressful day, it was a good way for it to end (by ending well).

Today I again had need for a taxi service. By now I have the names and phone numbers for 11 different drivers whom people really like and trust. If I keep going, I'll be able to write my own phone book soon! The service I was with today was also polite and friendly and did exactly what was needed. It was a bit more expensive, but I still thought it was quite reasonable considering the distance.

The moral of this story is really just a continuation of my point that Grenadian people are very nice, friendly, and pleasant to interact with. I am constantly reminded that I am not in the US anymore, but usually it is in a good way. Now, since classes start tomorrow, it is time to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment