Monday, November 12, 2012

American Airlines

So when i book flights for Grenada/home, I do it many months in advanced. You do it based on the principle the term starts on day x and ends on day y. Imagine my inner turmoil when I found out we were going to end 4 days earlier this semester than normal. For many months now, I have been going back and forth on whether or not to move my flight up a few days so I can be home with my family and eat real food and play with my pets for just a few days longer. The kicker is that there is a $150 flight change fee. Ugh, that's a lot of money, and it's been keeping me from just doing it. 
 
Fast forward to today. I finally make up my mind, I'm going to do it. I'm going to change the flight, pay the money, and be happier than I will be if I'm stuck here for a few extra days. I like it here, its a great country and all, but after 4 months I just want OFF!!!  So I look up the flight - it's still there, the cost for it is $369 (which is mysteriously down $5 from when I looked this afternoon...), get all my info together, and make the call. A grumpy lady answers the phone (it's no later than 6:30p her time, but whatever). She blandly asks me for my info and what I want, and then tells me that it will cost me $260. WHAT?!?! Now I'm stuttering on the phone. Huh?? How is that possible?? She tells me that there's the $150 change fee, and that there is a $110 difference between the flight I previously booked and this one. I politely tell her I'll have to think about that.

So now you're probably thinking "well duh there's a difference between the two flights," except that would make my original flight out of here $250. Those of you who have even glanced at flights to and from Grenada are now laughing, because there is no such thing. I paid $866 round trip for this set of flights. You're trying to tell me that coming here in peak times was more expensive than leaving here on peak times?? Nope, not buying it. I didn't even get off that nicely with the last set of flights I purchased where my total came to $640. I am extremely lucky with flight costs. I come from a major city on the east coast and flights are pretty cheap for me, but they are not $250. You can't even fly directly from Miami to Grenada for that price. 
 
I get back on the AA website to do some fishing. I decide to pretend like I want to buy the flight I want singly. I look it up, select it, and... error notice! Huh?? "Flight no longer exists." Wait what?! Fine, I'll try a later time. Same deal. Okay, what is going on?? Refresh the page again to find that the 1st flight is still missing, but the second is available but $30 more. ...Huh? Okay so maybe the 2nd flight in my original combo is booked, seems reasonable. Nope, checked that and there are dozens of seats available on it. 
 
What the heck?! I am so incredibly confused!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment