Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Day Trip to DC

I met a friend for brunch and wandering in Washington D.C. today.

The fun began with the metro ride in. Apparently they are doing track maintenance, which led to some interesting delays. I also learned not to get on a train labeled "special," because you just never know what that means. Today it meant that the train line ended two stops before where I wanted to go. Fabulous. Oh yeah, and the train that had been a few minutes behind us also mysteriously disappeared off of the track schedule too for a while. Who knows. After living in Grenada, this sort of thing just gives me a good chuckle.

We met for brunch at the Old Ebbitt Grill, which turned out to be this delicious and adorable little restaurant! The food was amazing and the service was fantastic (after all, I'm used to Grenada which is just a tad bit slow, or where I live which is usually rude and impersonal). I had apple pecan butter french toast and my friend had country style ham, eggs, and grits.

After brunch we wandered back into the cold (have I mentioned how much I HATE winter weather recently??) to tour the city. We didn't really have any plans, and ended up walking through the WWII memorial and then went over to the national Christmas tree. I've never seen the tree except on TV, so I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there was a cute train set up, trees for each state, a Santa's workshop, and (my favorite) a fire pit! Very cute! I'm glad I had the chance to see it!

When we were finally thoroughly tired of the cold (I hate the cold, he spent most of his life in Florida-we're not a pair who like cold weather in general), we hit up a coffee shop for some hot chocolate before parting ways. The hot chocolate was excellent, although I managed to scorch my tongue :(.

All in all, a very fun afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment