Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Vaccinations

Today I finished off my hepatitis A vaccination series and got my seasonal flu vaccine. Yay...so much fun. The hep A. vaccine is a two part vaccine. It is two IM injections 6 months apart. It's really no big deal at all and ensures nice protection against the foodborne illness hepatitis A.

I am also a big fan of the yearly flu shot. Not because I like needles and pain and such, but because I feel that if I still get sick, then at least I can say I did everything I could to prevent it. A quick $25 vaccination and a few moments of lost comfort seem like a small price to pay for health. As busy as I stay at school, I can't afford to lose time to being sick! Usually I sign up and get the easy IM injection, but this year I was surprised with an intradermal device. It sounded kinda cool at the time. It even comes in this nifty contraption with an itty bitty needle. BUT. Don't be fooled, that sucker stung going in! And then the site swelled a little and itched and now it just hurts! I am grumpy :(. Why did the vaccine that was 1/5th the amount with the teeny tiny needle have to be the worse one?! My arm muscle isn't even sore or stiff from the hep. A vaccine! My forearm skin on the other hand, hurts!

If all this talk about needles and vaccines has you queasy, don't worry, I don't like them either. I just prefer them to the risky alternatives haha. However, I will absolutely stick to things that go into muscles and avoid things that go into skin layers at all costs next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment