Saturday, December 3, 2011

Spice Market

I went to the spice market in St. George's this morning with a classmate. Getting to and from St. George's is really quite easy, but I'm not sure I'll ever get over feeling like I'm being kidnapped when you take a reggae bus to town. It's just all a little sketchy! You're walking along the sidewalk one moment, and the next a van has whipped up beside you, you jump in, and you're either innocently hiding out in the back waiting for more "victims," or you enter into a van full of other people and squeeze in the best you can. It's just a very interesting experience. And there's really nothing sketchy about it, it's just that tv and movies have led me to believe that this is exactly how something bad goes down!

As expected the market was bustling with shopkeepers and shoppers this morning. Many different fruits and spices for sale. My friend and I went with the intention of finding gifts for people and getting fruit to eat while studying, but we only ended up completing that mission 50% of the way. I'll let you take a guess which part got neglected.

We found some unique things to bring home with us at the end of the week and generally enjoyed ourselves wandering around. One thing I don't particularly care for is being thought of as a tourist. The only thing worse than being a white female student on this island happens to be being a white female tourist, and I am always sure to mention affiliation with the university. I swear it makes them look at you at least a little differently (advantage). We made a quick trip through the "mall" and ended with a snack from the bakery. Delicious!

The mall had some cute decorations up for the holiday so here they are! I was surprised not to see more honestly (after seeing the Grand Anse/True Blue area). I also still remain in denial about the upcoming holidays. 85 and sunny just doesn't make me think Christmas, no matter how many trees you put around (or for those who watch college football, no matter that the regular season has come to a close). I guess it will just make it all the more surprising and sweet when I do get home next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment