Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Toothless Pig Day 2

I think Penny's mouth was feeling a little more painful today because her appetite was not as voracious as usual. She still seems to eat and drink better though so I'm pretty happy about that! She's also currently stuffing her face with lettuce, so life can't be all bad ;).

She was not a fan of the metacam or the baytril this morning when it was dosing time. I do not look forward to continuing this fight for 2 weeks! The current technique is to have someone hold her while I grab her head and squirt the medicine in her mouth (I'm very gentle so don't worry!). Tonight she fought me way less and then was excited (and expecting) to get lettuce in her house afterwards so I think maybe I'll give her some lettuce after every dose as kind of a reward/incentive. My main goal is to keep her from hating syringes. She gets a vitamin C supplement every morning with her breakfast. It is an orange flavored liquid that she sucks out of a syringe and she absolutely loves it! This is an awesome thing, because proper vitamin C supplementation is a must for guinea pigs (and humans and bats) because just like us, they are unable to endogenously synthesize the necessary vitamin.

No comments:

Post a Comment