Monday, August 27, 2012

Cookie Bars!

Finally another baking adventure in Grenada! Admittedly, this toaster oven isn't perfect, but the results are always delicious, regardless of imperfections.

We are making cookie bars with chocolate chips tonight. I was planning on doing this over the weekend, but never quite got around to it. This is a favorite recipe of mine. We did it with M&Ms first this summer, then I did it with chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and shredded coconut. The results are heavenly! Since none of those items exist on this island (not true about the coconut but no clue where to get that), we're just making plain chocolate chip bars.

When I went to the grocery store last week, I picked up the missing ingredients. The first thing I grabbed was butter. I wasn't quite paying attention when I grabbed the butter though, so I ended up with a slab of butter from New Zealand (cheapest option), rather than the traditional sticks of butter. Not really an issue, just required us to make the conversion from ounces to tablespoons. New Zealand butter isn't marked with the same quick and easy tablespoon measurements that I'm used to.

The other thing this recipe calls for that is a little bit strange, is 1 whole egg, and 1 egg yolk. So I set my roommate to work separating the yolk from the white, but she initially mixed it up! Just as she was about to dump the whole egg white into the bowl, I stuck my hand out and grabbed (she was very confused until she realized why!). Egg whites are cold and slippery!

The slightly lower temperature (325 degrees) and the fact that this was most definitely not accurate in our oven which has tick marks for 275 and 350, caused it to take a while to cook all the way through, but the result is ooey, gooey deliciousness!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well on campus housing doesn't have ovens (but a lot of people have toaster ovens that work pretty well), but the apartments are furnished normally here

      Delete