Friday, August 17, 2012

Unpacking

As I hauled what felt like 150 lbs of crap out of storage yesterday (my main suitcase easily weighed 80-100 lbs and then I had some boxes), I told people that this was my second least favorite part of the semester. The only thing that beats pulling stuff out of storage and unpacking would be packing it all up and getting it to storage! That is pretty darn miserable - nothing ever seems to fit as nicely as it did before, your room suddenly seems to be a bottomless pit of things that just keep appearing from the magical land of nowhere, you're on a time limit, you'r exhausted, the list goes on! At least with unpacking, time is pretty limitless, life is pretty stress free, and it eventually all fits back together nicely (which feels so rewarding!).

Packing to come down here went pretty smoothly. I brought everything I wanted to even though I ended up having to bring another duffle bag. When I pulled my stuff out of storage, I was treated to the awful smell of things that have been stored in a hot, tropical room for 3 months, and a lot of mold. I was very unhappy to find so much mold! It basically finely coated anything plastic that had been exposed to the air, was all over my pillow and pillowcase despite being space bagged, and had completely covered my beach bag and back pack. DISGUSTING!!! I find it amusing that I am not phased by blood, vomit, diarrhea, death, and all the other nasty things that come with veterinary medicine, but mold? Absolutely not! I am so revulsed by the nasty smell and site of mold! The plastic stuff wiped down easily and the pillow got a heavy dose of bleach and hot water. The pillow seems to have come through quite nicely. The back pack and beach bag are currently getting their turn with bleach and hot water (to be followed by the drier). Fingers crossed they clean up well too. I did at least bring another pillow down for this semester, so it's not the end of the world if this one has to go.

As of right now, all of my stored clothes, sheets, and towels have been washed and dried, my clothes have been put away in the closet, I've been to the grocery store, I put up a fun fishy shower curtain in our shower room, I have organized and put away my bathroom items, my book shelf is back in order, my shoes are put away, and the storage closet is all in order. What's left? Tackling my desk and making up my bed. I can't decide which I like least. One would think that making the bed would be relatively quick and painless, but that is not the case at all. It typically takes 1-2 HOURS to get the bed put back together, not because I have fancy sheets, but because the bed is crammed at an awkward angle in the room and against the desk. It is very tricky and time consuming to pull the matress out, put on sheets, line it up perfectly, and get it back on the frame. Ugh! My desk needs to be organized, school supplies have to go back into their boxes, and cables need to be hooked up correctly. So, I am currently procrastinating both of these tasks! I do also need to redecorate the bare walls, but that probably won't happen until tomorrow. I promise to post pictures of the place all neat and tidy if and when it ever gets to be that way!

No comments:

Post a Comment