Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Travels

Well, after another long day of traveling, I have finally made it to Grenada. It was a very easy and uneventful travel day. Both of my flights left on time, made good time getting to the destination, and were generally easy.

Lots of tears before leaving this morning, but I think for now I have run out of tears to cry! As always, I was a nervous flyer, but I am super glad it's over with for another 4 months! Customs was just as fun as ever. Of course I had to go and get a new laptop this summer, so I had to declare and pay taxes on it again. I zipped through immigration, got my bags quickly, and sped into a line with about 10 people ahead of me thinking "oo this should be a breeze with this short line!" WRONG!!! It took over an hour of course. A couple of people got held up at the desk for over 20 minutes! Not sure what the issue was, but I think maybe it had to do with their change from paper to a computer system? Not sure. I just told myself that last year was much worse, in theory I won't ever have to wait again, and that it's not like I was racing off to something more important. I eventually made it through without paying too much in taxes ($38, last time it was arbitrarily $26) so that made me happy.

I managed to snag my keys from the RA just as she was getting ready to leave (which was lucky because no one was home and my room door was locked). It smells a bit damp in here, but that's definitely to be expected in a tropical area. My room is just as I left it. They didn't bother to paint this summer so I still have a lot of patches on my wall (boo). Makes me wish I'd just left the trickier decorations in place! Tomorrow evening I need to go pick up my things in storage. I should have a few boxes and my other suitcase there. Until then, I don't really feel like unpacking. I probably won't really feel like packing then, but at least I currently have an excuse!

One last funny - Last spring, I discovered that 2 of my 4 110v outlets weren't working. Since that didn't really matter to me, I let it be until I moved out, at which point I submitted a work request to have them fixed. The request was filled the next day and that was that. Tonight, much to my surprise and amusement, I have discovered that none of the 110v outlets work! So apparently instead of fixing 2 last spring, they just decided to break all 4! Grenada just needed to find an extra special way to welcome me back I suppose! I've submitted another request, so hopefully they will get around fixing that ASAP! My computer may be new, but the battery life isn't infinite!

No comments:

Post a Comment