Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Horses

Okay, so coming to vet school I knew that I knew next to nothing about horses (and cows and anything that isn't a dog, cat or pocket pet/exotic really), but I didn't think that lack of knowledge would feel so overwhelming!

This week were are covering horses in Clinical Orientation. The week starts off with two 50 minute lectures and then ends with two 50 minute hands on labs at the clinic and farm. Yesterday's lecture was all about breeds and basic terminology and today we covered the equine physical exam. Although it overlaps with the companion animal PE quite a bit, the fact that these are gigantic, powerful, and potentially dangerous animals terrifies me! Horses are gorgeous, but I think I prefer my dogs and cats thank you! Working with them on Thursday will be interesting. I really need to study before I go out on the farm so that I am not a complete idiot! This post is to be continued on Thursday and Friday...

1 comment:

  1. You will be fine with the horses, they are just like big dogs, really! I miss you but so enjoy reading your descriptive narratives of vet school life!

    ReplyDelete