Friday, February 24, 2012

2 Busy Nights

I am finally done volunteering at the small animal clinic for a while. When I signed up for these shifts, I figured it would just be 6 or 7 easy hours of study time. Wrong! Very busy. So instead of getting anything done, I ran around like a crazy person for 20 hours this week. That's basically a part time job!

The only pair of scrubs I had left by the time yesterday rolled around was a black pair. :( I don't like wearing all black, makes me feel very gloomy. However, what did I do last night? I force fed 400mls of activated charcoal to a pair of dogs. Black, sticky, messy charcoal, to unwilling participants. I still have it around my nail beds, even after washing my hands a million times and showering! So black turned out to be the perfect choice for last night! The dogs were on proactive treatment for possibly being poisoned, because a kitty housemate turned up dead as did a neighbor dog across the street and another neighbor dog is missing.

Our botulism friend is slowly getting better. He has more muscle tone now, it's really incredible to feel! Although he still has a long road to recovery, this has been a really cool case to follow. I'll have to pop in sometime next week to see how he's doing.

Yesterday we had our second lab in the simulation teaching lab. We had one last semester too. The SIM lab is a mock hospital with many mannequins for teaching. Unfortunately they're all teaching with the exception of one stuffed dog with a lung speaker, but it's fun all the same. Basically we listen to heart and lung sounds (normal and abnormal) and discuss what we hear. It's a neat tool that we have access to.

I'm really hoping to catch up on sleep and studying this weekend, I desperately need lots of both! I ended up ducking out of class early today because I was too exhausted to learn anything. I figured it was probably just better for me to go home and take a nap than sit in class like a zombie and let facts bounce off me without comprehending or learning anything. I can't wait for midterms to be over with!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment