Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Busy Night at the SAC

Last night I covered an on call shift from 5p-12a with my vet school roommate. Because I pretty brought every study item I own, we were of course busy pretty much the entire night. We even had one emergency. 16 patients in the hospital was the main culprit for keeping us running around the whole time, which was fine. It certainly made the shift go pretty quickly! Our emergency was a dog with a seizure and brain tumor history who was brought in while the owner was out of town. It unfortunately seemed as though his tumor had progressed further because anti-seizure medications were only stopping the seizures temporarily. My heart goes out to the owner who had to make a tough and hasty decision last night after having been away for awhile.

The botulism case is slowly improving. He is not as flaccid as before (some muscle tone when you go to move him) and can sort of pick his head up for eating (which he loves!). The majority of our other patients were orthopedic patients recovering from surgery (which is usually a multi-week process here because of extremely low owner compliance rates) or boarding patients. Never the less, when you have 16 of them, the time gets eaten up pretty quickly!

Thankfully we didn't get any calls over night, but I only managed to get about 5.5 hours of sleep again. I am exhausted! And on top of being worn out, I am already very nervous and stressed about all of my upcoming midterm exams. I just feel like I am so behind and that there is just not nearly enough time to get everything I need to do done. I don't like this feeling at all. I'm on call again tomorrow night and am really hoping that it will be a bit calmer (doubtful) so that I can get more studying done.

No comments:

Post a Comment