Friday, April 20, 2012

Herping in the Rainforest

Tonight was the date for the Herp Club's Herp hike. I have pretty much been looking forward to this since we got back last term! Really, it doesn't get much better than hiking through the rainforest at night looking for critters!

I remind you that it is currently the "dry season" in Grenada. Except not today! Today it did tons of raining in True Blue (which doesn't necessarily mean it rained anywhere else, but it certainly did). We arrived at Grand Etang national forest just after sun down. It was a little misty on our drive up. So many steep and winding curves! Although they are very good at driving, they still make me very nervous! Anyhow, because it rained so much today, it was very muddy in the forest. Oh well! Just adds to the fun and excitement, right? Dress accordingly and just be prepared to come home absolutely filthy!

We climbed up and down, and through tons of mud. Several people fell a few times but I, luckily, was not one of them! I am super clumsy so it's pretty amazing I didn't fall! Don't worry, I made up for it by pretty much smearing mud all over my legs haha. I really cannot convey with words just how sticky and muddy it was haha. And this mud is a nice clay-based mud that stains quite nicely. When I got home, I went straight to the laundry room and stripped my shoes and socks off to throw in the wash before I came back to my room.

We didn't see as many critters tonight as we did last fall, but we did find another Grenadian tree boa and I got to hold it! Such a beautiful snake! We also found a little scorpion-see if you can find it in one of the pictures! Unfortunately I can't upload my pictures of the snake and the search I did online didn't give me anything I like-sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment