Saturday, April 14, 2012

More Sand For My Bed

Vet roomie and I went for a "quick" walk down to the beach tonight to take a break from studying for physiology exams. I say "quick" because we thought we'd be quick and ended up being gone an hour!

The evening weather here always feels so lovely. A gentle breeze and calmness about the area is really relaxing. We stuck our feet in the water and it felt wonderful. The sand was soft and the water was warm. We had a flashlight with us so we poked around a little bit to see if we could find any fish or crabs. No luck at our first spot, so we meandered over to the dock. One thing I love about nighttime in Grenada is that you can see every star in the sky at night. You look up and you see beautiful twinkles staring back at you. I imagine people who live way out in the country in the US have the same view, but I feel like I see more stars than when I was on the outskirts of Blacksburg at night.
We shined the flashlight into the water at the end of the dock to see if we could find any fish. The water was crystal clear everywhere tonight. I was pretty surprised-I've never seen this one area when it wasn't murky! I'm not really sure what would make it murky during the day and crystal clear at night. The tide was certainly similar to other times. Anyhow, it's probably about 6-8 feet deep at the end of the dock. Mostly sandy with patches of seaweed on the bottom. We both spotted this small object that was bright red. As the bright red object moved around and tried to hide itself in the seaweed from our spotlight, we decided it must have been a crab! We spotted another not quite as red crab not too far from the first one too. Pretty neat!

Next we wandered the other shoreline to see if we could find anything fun. I found some sea glass and a few tiles, and we stumbled upon a few surprised crabs too. It didn't even occur to me to snap pictures of them (I guess I was too surprised and excited at seeing them run around on the sand!). We stumbled upon a dead rat being feasted upon by a million ants. The pattern that they had been munching left it looking unique, but I'll spare you the pictures!

We spotted this little guy on our walk back home. Tiny frog! 

No comments:

Post a Comment