Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sleep?

Here's a (not so brief) run down of the last 24ish hours:

I  cleaned my room and finished off writing a letter to someone.

I went for a nice long swim! That pretty much made everything all better. I saw another new fish, found kind of a weird snail/slug type critter on a rock, added more "tan" to my back (I think I will just forever be pale in front), and saw the barracuda again! He is such a beautiful fish. He is at least 2 feet long and extremely people shy. Supposedly they are very curious, but not this guy (and rightfully so!). I wish he'd stick around for 2 seconds longer so I could watch him even more, but he sees me and he takes off. This is a very good move on his part, because although I would never hurt him, there are plenty of Grenadians and students that would happily turn him into dinner! I also found a few hermit crabs, some pretty sea shells, and mutually scared myself and a crab half to death but setting my hand on top of where he was buried in the sand! Yikes! I'm very glad he was more interested in getting away as fast as he could than punishing me for being clumsy!
(I swear it isn't dead, it's just the water/slime in my hand!)
(The sandy patches are where I swim out to the reef, where the waves are is the reef)
 
I went to the bank and the grocery store and stocked up on food for the week. IGA is officially out of cookies-majorly disappointed with that! I foresee cookie baking in my vet roomie and I's futures : D.

I spent 10 hours at the small animal clinic (usually it's 7) and got home at 3am. I walked in to doctors and techs in the middle of fixing two security dogs who had gotten into a dog fight. We had to anesthetize one and then the other to take care of their puncture wounds. That took about 4 hours to finish up. We spent the remaining few hours of our shift discussing medical stuff, classwork, and just randomly chatting. We finished off taking care of all our patients at 12:15a and were just getting ready to leave when the phone rang. Yay! I guess I'm really glad it happened before we left rather than get all the way home (and up the mountain) just to find out I needed to come back. One of the upper term students needed her cat to be seen, and by the time we finished up with them and kindly helping finish off other treatments, it was 3am! So late!

This morning I woke up at 8:30a to spend the morning and early afternoon playing with horses. Our large animal society had their horse handling labs today. We started the morning off haltering and leading the horses around, followed by picking up their feet and cleaning them. In the afternoon, we talked more about a lameness exam, learned how to hoof test, what structures to palpate in the distal limb, and how to place a leg wrap. It was a ton of fun! I don't really have much experience working with horses, so I definitely enjoy any opportunity to become more comfortable with them and put my book knowledge to use on a live animal!
 (Alamo wanted no part in being haltered but was a good sport for picking up feet!)
 (Hoof testers and limb palpation-does not hurt the horse, looking for abnormal pain)
 (leg wraps for support)
The rest of the afternoon was dedicated to a heavenly shower (that I had been waiting for since last night but didn't because it's a jinx to shower and be clean while still on call!), uploading 200 pictures, and taking a lovely 4 hour nap.

Then it was dinner time : D. Eggs for lunch and pancakes for dinner! Very tasty. After dinner my vet roomie and I watched The Finder together and I worked on some avian anatomy. I am currently waiting for my laundry to finish drying so that I can go to bed. Hope it finishes soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment