Wednesday, April 4, 2012

One Small Step (and Some Shrimp)

We had lab final exam for bacteriology lab today. Although this is really of little significance because it was only 10 points and the class isn't over, I no longer have this lab on Wednesday afternoons, which frees them up for getting other things accomplished. Wait a sec, who am I kidding? It frees them up for me to twiddle my thumbs and waste the time away haha.

In other news, millions of small shrimp washed into shore yesterday in Grenada. Or at least this end of Grenada. A random massive shrimp kill. It smelled quite terrible and ruined my plans to go for a swim yesterday afternoon when I had some spare time. The smell got stronger and stronger as I approached (smelled fishy and dead) so I was looking forward to getting in and getting away from the stench! I did my usual wander along the shoreline to see if anything interesting had washed up. I didn't notice them at first. They are quite small and mostly translucent. But when I did, they were suddenly every where. The shore was loaded with them (and ants rushing to take part in the world's largest picnic), the water was littered with them, and the smell was quite strong. At first I thought to myself, I'm not going to let some dead shrimp scare me off or gross me out, but after a little bit, I realized that I should be scared off and disgusted. These were millions of dead organisms, and not only did they die for some unknown reason, but they probably were attracting and releasing tons of happy bacteria. Not exactly the kind of water I want to be swimming in. Mostly because it seemed like a potentially big health risk to take, and since I have NO time to be sick and an upcoming 4 day weekend, I decided not to chance it. So instead I poked around and took some pictures, and then returned home a bit disappointed. Maybe I will get another better chance this weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment