Monday, April 16, 2012

Hokies

For most of the world, today is Monday. It is a day just like any other in the middle of April. But for the Hokie Nation, today, April 16th, is a day of remembrance, sadness, reflection, and celebration.

5 years ago today, the lives of all Hokies who came before us and those to come in the future were forever changed. We remember what happened, what has come from it, and we celebrate and live life in remembrance. The Hokie family is stronger than ever. Evil cannot and never will prevail.

I am so proud and grateful to be a Hokie. When you attend orientation at Virginia Tech, they as you "what's a Hokie"? I imagine it's because they get this question all the time from curious students and parents. The response? "I am." A Hokie is someone who is loving and loyal, is a friend and a caretaker, is someone who steps up in times of need, someone who does "the right thing," someone who has courage and honor, and pride and spirit. What's a Hokie? "I am." A Hokie is each and every one of the amazing individuals that makes up the student body, the alumni association, and the support group for each of these people. The Hokie spirit is infectious, you can't help but smile, laugh, and feel good about yourself in the presence of these people.

I wasn't at Virginia Tech in 2007 and I didn't personally lose any friends that day, but I lost valuable and amazing members of the Hokie community that day. The world lost these wonderful individuals, robbed too young of their talents and potentials. Luckily for them, hundreds of thousands of people have picked up where they left off, living out their legacies in ways these people probably never dreamed possible. I am a Hokie. I will forever live my life for myself, my family, my friends, but also for these 32 angels whose time was cut much too short.

It's an emotional day for many people. Remembering the events of that day, the memories they had with their lost loved ones, and reflecting on life in general. I mourn for my friends who were so deeply touched that day, for the friends and families of the wounded and lost who had their lives changed forever, and for the heart ache and heart break still experienced by so many. I can't help but shed tears of sadness at the memory of such a senseless tragedy. But I also celebrate their lives, the time I've spent with those I cherish so much, and what the Hokie community has done since that day. I smile at the event related memories I've made, because even though there is an aching under-tone, without them, I wouldn't be who I am or where I am today.

To all of my friends and family, I love you all so much. I am so grateful that each of you is a part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment