Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Grenadian "Snow Day"

A snow day in Grenada? What's that?! Well...

This morning was my "early" morning, in which I have to get up at 8am because I have a full morning of labs, unlike the other mornings when I get to sleep in until at least 10am should I choose. I stumbled out of bed (definitely not a morning person), and set about my routine. In the background, I could hear my roommate drying her hair. All of the sudden, I hear "beep!" You know, that all too familiar beep when the power flips off and makes you groan. It stayed off for a few seconds then magically reappeared. Sleepy me was confused, figured perhaps my roommate had tripped it with her hair dryer, but it had come back awfully fast...Either way, didn't devote more than a couple of neurons to the though as I still had to make it pathology lab.

On our way out the door, we reset our AC unit and went our separate ways. Charter Hall where our lab is held, has been both hot and freezing for labs before. Today it chose to be the former. It was toasty with 40 of us peering at microscopes trying very hard not to fall back asleep against the eye pieces, but when we added the other half for the 2nd lab class, it just got plain stuffy and steamy. Why? Well it appears that it was not just our little suite that had a power glitch this morning. And in addition to that one, it beeped again during lab number 2 and we briefly lost our projector.

Anyhow, we quickly discovered that this power glitching was resetting all of the AC units on campus. Wonderful. That means that every building had to be inspected and fixed. With our not always so efficient maintenance staff, we didn't get to experience the joys of AC in lab - or in class!

By the time class rolled around in our building (VSL), 4 hours of morning classes had come and went, and quite a few students had sweated in the classrooms. And of course since most people skipped classes last week, most people are feeling obligated to be in class this week. Wonderful, good for them, whatever, but not when we have no AC! It was easily 85-90 degrees and melt-the-ice-cream-in-10-seconds-flat humid (now if we had actually had ice cream, we would have been pretty content!) in our classroom with 65-78 of us, 2 projectors, a lecturing professor, computers, and oh yeah, the beating Caribbean sun blazing down on our second story classroom.

After much moaning and groaning, our professors were persuaded to let us out early. We sat through pharmacology and a few minutes of clinical pathology before being released to freedom. Thank you generous professors!

To celebrate our freedom, several of us went to one of my classmate's homes to swim in his tiny pool and snorkel on the reef out back. It was lovely! An absolutely gorgeous day. And the sun felt quite good from within the water! The only hiccup occurred when I dropped my camera climbing out of the ocean and didn't realize it for about 20 minutes. Thankfully it was very easily retrieved, but it was quite full of sand and I'm a bit worried that the sand is going to work its way into the waterproofing features and break the seals :(.

No comments:

Post a Comment