Monday, September 10, 2012

When Things Don't Go "Crunch"

Before I came to vet school, or more accurately before I moved to Grenada, I refused to ever eat stale food. Why? Because it just doesn't taste the same, has a funny mouth feel, and probably because I'm a little bit spoiled. That all changed when I moved to the Caribbean. You see, the humidity here has a way of ruining everything 10 seconds after it's opened if it didn't arrive already tasting a little funny. In a country where food is expensive, time consuming to retrieve, and hard to come by, one just can't afford to be that picky. I have opened quite a few packages of food that was already a bit stale since moving here, and have just come to accept that while it may not taste so great, food is food and I'm going to eat it because there really isn't anything else in my cabinet that is immune. Things like cereal can be made better with the addition of milk, but mostly it's just a "grin and bear it" type of deal. And when I go home at the end of each term, I indulge in plenty of not-stale foods and am a little less picky in the ones that may have been opened for a bit too long! And yes, in case you were wondering, I am sitting here eating tortilla chips that just don't have that characteristic and satisfying snap. Their ever-so-slightly water logged state makes them stick to your teeth and feel funny, but they are super tasty all the same (yay for salt!).

No comments:

Post a Comment