Friday, September 21, 2012

The Difference Between Grenada and the US

Okay, so there are countless differences between these two countries. And some of them are more apparent than others. Sometimes I simply stumble upon a little tidbit that reminds me that this beautiful tropical island is nothing like the country I've called home for over 20 years!

As is pretty customary and routine, I went to the grocery store this afternoon. I was pretty anxious to go today as I am all out of lunch foods and the reheated baked potato I suffered through for lunch just wasn't as good as my normal sandwich or pizza. I'm doing well with dinner foods these days, mostly eating chicken based dishes which works out quite well because it's relatively inexpensive.

Anyhow, with my sandwiches I usually eat chips (who wouldn't want potato chips with their peanut butter and jelly?!). I've been buying the IGA brand chips this term as I have found them to be a bit cheaper than Lays or Ruffles (although admittedly they're not quite as good). A large bag usually costs $8.80 EC (~$3.30 US). Today, much to my delight, the bags of chips had bright orange stickers on them that said "SPECIAL! $1.99." That's a whopping $0.75 US for all the Americans ;). I was ready to buy out the store at that price!

As it turns out, that sale had ended. Several days ago, actually. And this being Grenada and not a US grocery store, I was told "Oh that sale is over and the price is back to normal. It shouldn't still be on the shelf with that sticker." Gee thanks. Sale over or not, it would have been polite to apologize for the mistake and honor the sale price, sheesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment