Thursday, September 6, 2012

Fire Alarms

So I live in a 98% medical student residence hall. For some reason, said medical students are on the path to becoming future doctors, they are incapable of not setting off their fire alarms. Each suite has a single alarm and then the building has it's own system. 3 of 4 nights this week, we have had the building alarm go off 4 times. That's a bit ridiculous. Luckily no one takes it seriously and you don't actually have to evacuate, but you are stuck listening to the blaring alarm for 30-60 minutes until they get someone over to turn it off. Yes, we would all be in big trouble if it ever was for a real fire!

I am used to hearing someone's room alarm go off 1-2 times a day. Apparently no one taught them how to use a microwave and a stove before shipping them off to learn how to save lives?? I am picking on the medical students because I used to live in a building of predominantly veterinary students. We didn't even have stove top ventilation and not once did anyone's alarm ever go off. Coincidence?

Today's annoying fire alarm story consists of a low battery beep that has been quietly going off all day long. You know the kind, beeps every couple of minutes to remind you it's there. I can't figure out where it's coming from otherwise I'd go try and tinker with it. Unfortunately, I can hear it through our suite and behind my closed bedroom door. I'm the only one in my suite that can hear it though. I'm the only one with an obsessive enough brain to pay attention to the rhythmic beeping going on in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment