Sunday, September 9, 2012

Herping in the Rainforest

We went on the bi-annual herp hike at Grand Etang National Forest last night. It was a perfect night! The weather was absolutely gorgeous and the terrain wasn't muddy despite this being the rainy season! Oddly enough, "perfect" weather conditions did not lead to seeing very many critters, but I'll live. The hiking was so much fun! We basically scaled a couple of mountains vertically up and down. That was a bit intense. I was glad it was dark out so that I could only focus on my lighted spot rather than how steeply up or down we were going and the drop off on either side!!! I don't normally do well with that sort of stuff! Today my right leg thigh muscles are rather sore, guess I used that leg a lot more? I need to learn to trust the left one too!

We did catch a snake and got to hold it :). Sadly, as always, the rules of no posting snake pictures apply so you'll just have to imagine a nice, tiny little snake with pretty brown checker patterns! He was a very nice snake - he didn't even try to bite anyone! I've been told that the little guys don't hurt at all, but I think I'll avoid the "shock" factor if possible! The snake was very fond of rubbing his head on my watch band. He sat there for at least a minute rubbing back and forth on the rubber between the end of the band and the part around my wrist! I have no clue what that was about but it was pretty neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment