Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas in Grenada

Every day, my facebook page is full of comments about the upcoming holidays and current weather in the US. I must admit, to me it doesn't feel anything like Thanksgiving and Christmas time! For starters, it is still 85 and sunny every day. If you spend enough time outside, you are guaranteed to get a sun tan or burn and to be sweaty. The beach and the ocean are still beautiful and warm, and I can still wear shorts and a tshirt to dinner and the grocery store! Every other year of my life, I have found myself bundled in hats, scarves, heavy coats and clothes long before this time of year, therefore my brain just doesn't seem to recognize that it's really November! I think it is confused.

Bits of Christmas songs have been circulating on the bus radios for quite some time now and rumor has it that one of the offices on campus has had a Christmas tree up since mid-October. I have noticed that as each week passes, hits of holiday decorations are popping up more and more, and the music is being played with increased frequency.

Last week when I went to the grocery store, I discovered that our IGA has covered the store with decorations! There is a 10 foot tall (well decorated) tree at the entrance to the store, wreathes and colored balls hanging from the ceiling and on the walls, and garland with decorations and lights everywhere! The other stores in the "mall" have added their own decorations and cheer to the mix. It's all quite cute.

Christmas is a very big holiday in Grenada because the islanders are very religious. I sort of wish that I was going to be here to experience Christmas from their point of view seeing all of the decorations and festivities (but not enough to actually stay!!!).
 p.s. I hope you enjoy the pictures, I endured many strange and judgmental looks while taking them for your viewing pleasure! :-p

No comments:

Post a Comment