Friday, November 25, 2011

Pancakes!

As these last few weeks continue to drag on, I continue to struggle with what I am going to cook for myself every day. I've grown tired of cooking and the dozen or so meals I have come up with. I want more variety! Too bad Grenada doesn't seem to stock the things I would like for said variety to occur!

Tonight while grocery shopping (to my amusement, they've added MORE Christmas decorations haha), a box of pancake mix caught my eye. Now I am sure there are those of you who scoff at the thought of making pancakes from a box, but I grew up on pancake mix and I think it tastes pretty darn good. Until proven otherwise, I shall continue with my box mix ways! Anyhow, despite the fact that I am desperately trying to use up the food I have left, pancakes seemed like an awesome dinner idea so I splurged and added a small box of pancake mix and bottle of syrup to my list of things to finish off in the next 2 weeks (if anyone has any ideas for easily finishing off an entire jar of grape jam without making dozens of PB and J sandwiches, let me know).

In addition to my pancake dinner, I found turkey bacon to go with it. I was also raised on turkey bacon and think it happens to be quite delicious so poke fun if you like, but I think it tastes great AND it's the healthier option, so there! Unfortunately, I happen to be terrible about checking expiration dates in the grocery store on things other than milk. Once it is home on my shelf I watch it like a hawk, but in the store I remain oblivious for the most part. My package of turkey bacon had a use by date of today, Nov. 25. This left me faced with a dilemma: I could eat the whole package tonight (21 slices), eat the entire package over the next 4-5 days and ignore the use by date, or freeze what I didn't cook tonight. Clearly the last option is the smartest, and what I went with. I was even smart enough to independently wrap portions for myself so that I don't have a defrost nightmare every time I use it up (have I mentioned the defrost button on my microwave? it's terrible! i'm pretty sure the manufacturer got the words "defrost" and "cook" mixed up, because that is exactly what happens to anything microwaved via the defrost setting).

Anyhow, my pancakes turned out very well and were delicious! I was very proud of myself for successfully cooking them and making the bacon on the stove as I am notoriously bad at cooking any breakfast food. 
And for fun, can you spot the green anole in the tree outside my window?

No comments:

Post a Comment