Saturday, November 5, 2011

Jinxed

Well I majorly jinxed myself last, night. I finally fell asleep at about 3am only to awaken to the the on call phone ringing at 4am. The call was from a couple of veterinary students who had a dog with a suspected brain tumor who was having cluster seizures.

The team made our way back to the hospital to prepare for the incoming emergency. Unfortunately for our patient, a brain tumor and seizures are not a good combo. His seizures had been getting worse and more frequent lately and soon after they arrived, he crashed and we euthanized him peacefully. My heart goes out to that couple-he seemed like such a nice and beautiful young dog.

I got home a little after 5am and decided that I needed to take a shower. It took me awhile to fall asleep, reflecting on the case and the earlier evening.

I fell asleep at 6am. At 7:40am, the phone rang again. This time, a Grenadian wanted to bring his dog in who has been "hopping about." A little bit confused and absolutely exhausted, I asked for a little more information (when did it start, which leg seemed to be the problem). I was sort of expecting it to be nothing. Sometimes we wake up with a stiff leg or joint and favor it-happens in animals too. Instead, he told me that it was her left rear leg and that he suspected that "she had become tangled up with the car she had been chasing" the previous evening. You just never quite know what you're going to get here! We advised him to come in, and he said he be there a little after 8am.

I was very glad that the next shift would be in charge of handling the new emergency (I was soooo tired!!) and grateful that I would soon be able to go to sleep for real! 5 hours of sleep, a 2 hour morning nap, a 1 hour late night nap, and a 1.5 hour early morning nap are NOT enough sleep! I slept soundly from 8am-4pm and I am looking forward to going back to bed in a little bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment