Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy American Thanksgiving!

I must admit, I still like American Thanksgiving better than Grenadian Thanksgiving. The holiday is more joyous and tastier haha.

Although we didn't have the day off (or tomorrow), we do have a lighter load of classes (although I believe this is due to finals approaching rather than the holiday haha) between today and tomorrow. We also had a traditional thanksgiving meal complete with turkey and every imaginable side dish-it was delicious!

Hill's pet food donates 30 turkeys to the SGUSVM every year which are distributed amongst the students to cook and bring back for a pot luck meal on campus. Everyone else who attends brings a side dish of their choice. We had so much amazing food for our dinner tonight!

I like desserts and I like making desserts so I went on a Google hunt for something different and easy. I came up with Oreo truffles. If you think they sound amazing, they taste even better! The recipe I found traditionally calls for a package of oreos, 8 oz of cream cheese, and 8 oz of melting milk chocolate, but since IGA only had chocolate creme oreos, I decided to go with white chocolate to balance out the extra. You crush all the oreos in a bowl, mix in the cream cheese, roll the "dough" into balls, and dip them in the chocolate. While this produces a tasty product, it is very messy and rather time consuming. I think if I were to make the recipe again, I would pour a layer of white chocolate on the bottom of a greased dish, lay the dough on top, and pour the remain white chocolate over it and garnish with remaining chips. This is simply because it would be easier, less messy, and makes kind of a cheesecake fudge that is also delicious. This is what i did with a small portion of my batter (only I just put chocolate on the top, not on the bottom) and it was super yummy. All in all, if you're looking for an simple, sure to please recipe, this is one to go with!
 Anyhow, this was a fantastic way to do Thanksgiving. There was so much variety and new things to try! I also enjoyed being able to try multiple variations of a dish (i.e. mashed potatoes, turkey) because everyone's was a little bit different. We sort of lacked in veggies (not a big item in Grenada) and I personally didn't get any pumpkin pie, but I'm sure I can make up for that during my winter break!
 
 
Super huge THANK YOU to Hill's for their generous donation and to our SCAVMA board for organizing this event!

No comments:

Post a Comment