Saturday, November 12, 2011

Cold Shower

Earlier I was pondering what to blog about tonight but SGU has come through and provided me with a topic to write about!

We have a dry erase board at the entrance to our dorm where announcements can be posted by the RAs. It almost always says the same things, but occasionally something else will be scribbled on it. When I went out earlier, I noticed that it said there had been a water main break on campus and that there could be possible water outages this weekend. Awesome and noted. Mentioned it to a couple of my hall mates (who had not seen the message) and went on with my life.

Until I went to take a shower. The knob was already turned to hot so when I pulled on it, it gave a quick sprinkle (as opposed to the normal gush) and then died to a couple of droplets. A quick panic and I tried it again but with the lever turned more towards cold (I was looking for a cooler shower anyways because I had just finished exercising and was already hot and sweaty). This gave me a little bit of a stream with enough pressure that I felt I could successfully wash all shampoo and conditioner out of my hair.

So as it turns out, we have no hot water. Yayyy...Guess I'll hold off on washing dishes because I'd prefer hotter suds for that job. Before you gasp and think "oh my gosh! what a horrible place!", remember that water main breaks occur anywhere, and that they are often accompanied by water shortages or outages. The only difference between a water outage here and one in the US is that it probably will take the whole weekend and into Monday to get this fixed. Grenadian work standards are just a bit different here. For example, SGU has to independently contract out for weekend bus drivers because it is Grenadian law that the university cannot make staff work on weekends (and our regular bus drivers are staff). Welcome to Grenada!

No comments:

Post a Comment