Saturday, November 26, 2011

I Went For a Swim...

And then it started to rain.

When I woke up today and was studying, it was gorgeous outside. When I finally got through the amount of material that I had required myself to get through first, the skies were not nearly as pretty and blue as they had been earlier. But I was determined to go for a swim anyway, so I got dressed and headed down to the campus beach.
I swam around collecting shells and glass and looking at pretty fish for about 30 minutes before it began to rain. I think by the time I leave this place in 2.5 years I may finally over come my fear of the sea grass (I refuse to swim over top of it or go near it-it creeps me out!!!). The rain itself was not enough to drive me out of the water. I lasted at least another 10 minutes before finally quitting. After all, if you are already in the water, what does it really matter if more is falling from the sky? Unless it's a thunderstorm, and then I suppose that would be different. However, those are very few and far between in Grenada so that was not the case today. What finally got me to quit was the increased roughness of the waves making visibility crummy. Can't really treasure hunt and look for fish if you can't see anything. I also decided to avoid getting tossed up on shore by a strong wave.

When I got out of the water it was pouring rain. Although I had had the foresight to stuff my belongings in a grocery bag before coming, they were still pretty soggy when I got to them (thank you ocean and rain). I wrapped myself in a towel (more for decency's sake than to dry off-obviously!) and made my way back to my dorm. A security guard and student were hanging out at the entrance to my building, taking refuge from the miniature monsoon the sky was currently bestowing upon Grenada. They both chuckled at the sight of a girl soaking wet, bare foot, and wrapped in a towel-to their credit, I totally would have laughed too!
All in all a lovely swim, even if it was cut a bit short. Oh ad by the way, when I say swim, I mean that I spent a majority of my time in 2 feet of water. I just swim while doing it (much easier to use the appendages that way).

No comments:

Post a Comment