Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 2

I have to retract a couple of statements from the previous post.

1. After today's class, I'm pretty sure I will never catch more than 5 words per 50 minute lecture in bacteriology. Yesterday I had hope that perhaps there would be an accent learning curve, today I have none. I have, however, come up with a study plan. Because he gives us course notes in addition to the power point slides, I think I will read the course notes and take notes on them during class (and use my textbook as needed). Upper termers have sworn it'll be fine. We shall see.

2. Donkey stinks. He absolutely reeks of rotting flesh. Bummer. I knew it had to be too good to be true! Oh well. I'd prefer the formalin/dead things stink to the maloderousness coming from our donkey. I am *so* glad that we only have lab twice a week!

Okay, that's all I have to say about yesterday's post. On to today.

The only new class I had today was immunology. Which went well. I think I am going to like the class (but probably find it a bit challenging). We were supposed to also have radiology, but it mysteriously got cancelled (unbeknownst to us, but they did manage to tell the professor who taught at 10 to come at 9 so I guess it's all good). I was very happy to have an extra hour off : D. Should have spent it being productive, or even just relaxing, but instead I opted for a nap haha.

Anatomy lab is...going. Not really sure what to think at this point. 13 students hacking away at rotting, smelly donkey flesh. With a lab manual that stinks (metaphorically). We're all just a bit confused about it all right now. I am hoping that a few days off from it all will give me time to figure out what's going on. We shall see!

The 1st termers had their white coat ceremony tonight. I went along with several classmates. My roommate and her friends/fellow colleagues all received their white coats and were quite excited. It seems that one must be nervous and not good at public speaking to get the job of MC for the white coat ceremonies (both tonight's and last fall's had both unfortunate traits). The main speaker came from UPEI. We're still not sure what he wanted us to take away from his speech. He divided his time 50/50 (and I'm pretty sure stole an extra 10 minutes from the program) between and informational session about UPEI's vet school and the 5 shifts in the veterinary profession. Students walked away scratching their heads wondering why they had gotten a recruitment lecture, and wondering how those 40 minutes were meant to be inspirational. In lieu of an inspirational message from the ceremony, I shall end with this for the new January class of 2012: Congratulations! Welcome to the SGU family and veterinary profession! These next few years are going to be filled with many amazing and trying moments. Remember that you are never alone in this journey, even when it feels that way. You'll be surprised to realize just how many people are thinking and feeling the same things as you are-take comfort in that. Everyone at this university wants you to succeed, so don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it! Because you all come from different backgrounds, be sure to utilize your unique strengths to help each other out. This is key! You are now classmates, colleagues, family, and friends. Do your best-that's all you can ask of yourself. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment