Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Term 2 Begins

*This was supposed to be posted last night. But I came back from class this afternoon and found the error screen, so I guess it's just going to have to be a bit late!

Well, we have officially started classes for term 2! 8am seemed awfully early this morning though...and to think i get to do that 5 days a week for the next 4 months! I know many of you are probably laughing at me for hating 8am so much, but considering I never managed to make it to bed before 1:30a last semester, 8am could prove to be a real problem! I guess I'll just have to do a better job at studying for the entire evening and not getting distracted (fat chance haha)!

Because the 1st term students are currently completing vet school orientation, our classes have been moved to another building on campus. Formerly Bell Hall, the wide open space contains a split level with lots of tables. It was designed to be a group study space, not a classroom. Oh yeah, and the AC sounds like a freight train when it's on and cools to subarctic temperatures when running. When it's off? You're instantly peeling off layers wondering how the temperature could possibly fluctuate so much in such a short period of time!

We started with pharmacology. Apparently although we were notified of the location change, the professors weren't! How kind of the vet school (and not terribly surprising actually). In addition to leaving the professors out of the secret, no AV person was told to come to Bell to help with the lecture screens and microphone. Unlike any other smart classroom I've ever been in, these ones are designed to only work when the hired personnel are around to assist (I think it was to create Grenadian jobs). It's all well and good...until you're short an AV person! So our professor had to go without. He did his best. Thankfully it's syllabus day so not too much important learning happened.

Next up was anatomy 2. Ugh. I kind of doubt my feelings for anatomy will ever change. We start by getting a GIGANTIC notes packet for section 1 (of 4). Our AV issues had some what been resolved as we now had a microphone and notes on tv screens. However, either the microphone stopped working, or the professor decided he didn't care for it, because about 20 minutes in, he just suddenly stopped using it. Initially I thought the battery had died, but he spontaneously used it for a few minutes several other times during the lecture...so now I'm not so certain. The issue with him not using a microphone is that he is impossible to hear and understand without it. It's definitely going to be a fun semester in that category.

Class #3 was bacteriology/mycology. Lots and lots more notes for that class (and they decided to pass out immunology at that time too). Dr. Harry Hariharan will be teaching us this semester. I dare you to say his name 5 times fast! He is also a bit difficult to understand, but I have a feeling that once I get the hang of his accent and style, I'll be fine. We also have plenty of supplemental resources to aid with understanding.

Class #4 was physiology 2. Physiology makes me smile. I really enjoy it. I know, I'm weird! To make things even better, we started with hematology. Very interesting stuff! Oddly enough, despite this being a class I am very interested in, I have little to say about it at this point.

Finally it was lunch time. I hurried home to scarf down a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, relax for a few minutes, and then head off to anatomy lab for fun times take two.

When we arrived in the lab, we discovered that our donkeys were already out and waiting for us. Yayyyy... We formed lab groups of 13, divided our groups in half, and got to work. We are currently dissecting the neck. I'll keep you posted on how that goes. The donkeys are "fresh" (whatever that means), and don't seem to smell nearly as bad as the dogs and cats did surprisingly. Either that, or I'm just sadly quite used to the smell of preserved flesh. It really could be either. Or both. Who knows. We utilized all of the toys I added to my dissection kit over break (hemostats, scapel blades, and rat-toothed forceps) which made me happy.

The last class of the day involved a quick change out of scrubs into normal clothes (classroom rule) before hand. Lucky for me, physical diagnosis lecture happens to be on top of the hill (more like mountain!) that I live on, so I was spared another trip down and up that beast. Introductions were made and off we went reviewing dog and cat physical exam techniques. I definitely expect to learn a lot (more) in that class! Time flew by quite quickly much to my excitement. I like it when you look up and suddenly it's time to go!

So. That's an overview of my first five classes, immunology and radiology come tomorrow. I also get to repeat my fun times in Bell Hall and add in a third lecture and anatomy lab to my schedule. At least it looks like it won't be nearly as hectic as today!

No comments:

Post a Comment