Saturday, January 14, 2012

Kitty Cats and Waterproof Shoes

Well, I made it! I am back in Grenada for the start of term 2! I spent all of yesterday in airports and on planes to get here, but my journey here is not nearly as long as some of my classmates. Many people have multi-day travel plans that involve over night stays in airports, several connecting flights, and passing through other countries before arriving at the Grenadian destination. Just one of the many hurdles to jump on the path to becoming a veterinarian!

On my first flight yesterday, I was sitting next to another vet student (friend). The last people on the plane happened to be in front of us and when the husband arrived first, he brought two cat carriers. Being vet students, we were instantly cooing with the kitties who were less than pleased to find themselves in carriers in a place with many strange smells. As we were oogling the cats (and explaining that we were vet students, not creepy people), the man held up his arm, sighed, and began attending to a very large bleeding gash. Apparently he had tried to give the cats benedryl to help on the flight (per their veterinarian's instruction-always ask your vet first!!!), but it hadn't gone so well. We volunteered to pill the cats for him. Looking very relieved, he happily accepted our offer. Either he did something terribly irritating when trying to shove pills down their throats, or they were just subdued with anxiety, because that was probably the easiest pilling job I've ever had. He and his wife were thrilled that the cats had their drugs, and my friend and I were extremely pleased to have been able to put our skills to use! After all, how often does someone ask for a veterinarian on an airplane?!

Arriving in Grenada was as hot and humid as I had expected. This time I brought shorts to change into on the plane (very smart move on my part!). The airport was much faster and easier than it had been last time. Immigration and customs took a fraction of the time thankfully!

My new room/suite is much nicer than my old one (to be expected, this dorm is brand new as of last fall). I can actually see ocean from my window! My room is very tiny and a disaster right now. I'll put pictures up in a few days when I actually get things settled in.

I was able to register and get my books this morning, which made me very happy. Much to my amusement, as soon as I got to the book distribution spot, it began POURING rain. There's no escape in the tropics! I am very pleased to have waterproof shoes now. No more wet toes! I bought a pair of waterproof Merrells a couple of weeks ago so that I wouldn't have to worry about wet feet in the rain (an annoyance that I've been putting up with for years). I waited until it was only lightly sprinkling before heading back to my room, but the ground was certainly still very wet and full of puddles!

No comments:

Post a Comment