Sunday, January 15, 2012

Unpacking and Going Out and About

I am exhausted. Classes haven't even started yet! Not a good sign ;). I finished unpacking, getting things settled, and decorating my room today. It looks very nice! Way more home-y than last term. I bought a curtain for my window yesterday while we were out because much to my surprise and dismay, there is a very bright fluorescent street lamp located right outside. I (unfortunately) have gotten VERY used to sleeping in total darkness over the last several years, so my immediate thoughts included "uh that's going to be a huge problem" and "I am not going to get any sleep this semester without better window shades!" In addition to having this lovely light outside my window, the shade is rather sheer allowing most of the light in at night. Since I'm at street level, this also seemed like a privacy problem too! So I invested in a nice curtain.

I have lots of pictures of friends and family scattered around my room, a set of pretty mirror stickers, and lots of green and silver dry erase dots. They are very cool! they are a foot in diameter and you can write on them with dry erase markers!
Yesterday afternoon we went to the bank, both grocery stores, the linen store, the hardware store, the grocery store, and rounded the trip off with the most delicious smoothies ever. I had banana and it was simply amazing! Carrying all of our groceries up this humongous hill was incredibly painful (as expected). I joked that I was going to have to learn not to eat anything this semester because going to the grocery store was too much effort! Mandatory exercise...yay...

After that nice, hot, and sweaty trip to all of those stores, my roommate and I opted to go snorkeling on campus. The coast has changed a bit since  I was last here! The tide was substantially lower than I had ever seen it, the black sand patch was gone (booo that was my favorite!!), and the water was much shallower with fewer shells. The shallow water was also extremely cloudy. You couldn't really see much further than 1.5-2 feet in front of your face much to my surprise. I've never seen the water so yucky looking, usually it is crystal clear! Didn't make for particularly good snorkeling, but we were able to find some fun invertebrates hanging out on the rocks which made us plenty happy. Veterinary students: torturing Grenadian wildlife since 1999!
Today was a more laid back day. It rained quite a bit (2 for 2 and thrilled to have waterproof shoes!) in the morning/early afternoon. We had our footsteps buddies meeting before the bazaar and I got to meet my buddy face to face. Every incoming student is assigned an upper term student to help the new student transition into the program. This includes passing along information, old notes, wisdom, answering questions, hanging out, and anything else the students come up with. The meeting introduces all of the clubs and drug/company representatives at SGU. The school hosts a bazaar in the late afternoon at which clubs have booths, local restaurants sell food, live music is played, and Grenadian trinkets can be purchased. Basically, it is a lot of fun!

I am now plenty ready for bed even though it is not quite 10:30p yet! Up early for classes and a very long day of classes at that! We are scheduled from 8-12 and 1-5 tomorrow so it is going to be a long day!

No comments:

Post a Comment