Thursday, January 26, 2012

Patience

I know I've said it before, but living in Grenada is truly a lesson in patience. Patience because the culture is different. Patience because things are much slower and more laid back here. Patience because Grenadian standards rarely match American standards (for better or for worse). Patience because things rarely run on time. Patience because you are a guest in their country. And many more.

While it takes some getting used to, it is definitely important to keep an open mind, and ultimately likely turns you into a better person. I noticed that while I was home, the little things didn't irritate me nearly as much as they used to. Traffic? Oh well, I have nothing better to do. Waiting for a parking spot? Meh, what's a few more minutes. Out to eat? The food will come eventually. Things like that. I do have to remind myself though from time to time to have a little more patience with things here.

I was reminded of all this tonight when I was waiting for a bus to go to the grocery store. Instead of waiting the 5ish minutes I should have waited, I ended up waiting 25 minutes because the previous bus just never showed up. Irritating? Certainly! BUT! There's nothing you can do in that situation. It is best to remain calm and relaxed and realize that there's nothing you can change. And while it would certainly be nice to not be waiting around in that time, it also wasn't the end of the world. After all, I was only rushing back to study (and who on earth wants that?!).

No comments:

Post a Comment